Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A platform housing equipment necessary to keep an oil or gas field in production, with facilities for temporarily storing the output of several wells.
- ‘At present, oil operators have to pump the well fluid from a sub-sea reservoir to a production platform, where the mixture is separated into oil and water.’
- ‘Because the Lochnagar discovery is in 1,000 metres of water, the easiest way to extract the oil will be through a floating production platform.’
- ‘The accident happened as the aircraft was flying between the gas production platform Clipper and the drilling rig Global Santa Fe Monarch.’
- ‘The construction of the three parts of the production platform is advanced, and pre-development wells are being drilled in August.’
- ‘For the first time in North America, workers aboard an offshore production platform have voted to join a union.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.