Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An arrangement in a factory in which a thing being manufactured is passed through a set linear sequence of mechanical or manual operations.Compare with assembly line
- ‘Marie had worked on a factory production line before she became unemployed.’
- ‘Kathindi stopped to chat to each worker, most of them women, along the production line.’
- ‘They're inspiring mentors for new staff, and they jump onto the production line at peak times.’
- ‘The new production line will have die casting, machining and assembly operations.’
- ‘The production line in his sportswear factory is humming away in the background, churning out the latest in handball kit.’
- ‘It owned no equipment and leased a single production line at a Moscow food processing plant.’
- ‘On any one shift 30,000 gas cartridges can be produced, on a production line employing seven people.’
- ‘As far as they were concerned, meat was created in a factory and came off a production line in plastic wrappers.’
- ‘As soon as a new model rolls off the production line our mechanics have to know how to maintain it.’
- ‘The moment the bottle is formed, it passes over the water pump and joins the production line.’
- ‘Workers are not only encouraged to suggest improvements, they can stop the production line if they are not satisfied with quality.’
- ‘Toyota makes vehicles with different features, adapting to each one on the production line.’
- ‘The Leon is the first car to leave the production line since this decision was taken.’
- ‘For the past forty-five years he's held down a job assembling TVs and radios on a factory production line.’
- ‘How were the meat processors at Premium Standard able to change the game on the production line?’
- ‘This particular advertisement promised a job and handsome wages at a production-line factory in our area.’
- ‘But even as a young production-line worker, Webb showed a knack for getting people to buy into her ideas.’
- ‘The first Focus models off the production line will be hatchbacks, which are by far the biggest sellers across Europe.’
- ‘The fish is also of a higher value as it is frozen the moment it comes off the production line.’
- ‘Scotland On Sunday art critic Iain Gale was less enthused, likening it to a show room for a factory production line.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.