One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical instrument with an integral lamp for examining the anus and lower part of the rectum or carrying out minor medical procedures.
- ‘To check for leaks, the surgeon at the rectal site inserts a proctoscope into the anus.’
- ‘The doctor either uses a gloved finger or an instrument called a proctoscope to check for abnormalities such as growths on the rectal wall.’
- ‘Of all malignant disease, about 50 per cent occurs in areas which may be inspected directly, or with only simple instrumentation, such as the proctoscope.’
- ‘He presents a number of scenarios that imply that the majority of cancers are detectable directly or with simple instrumentation, like ‘a head mirror, tongue depressor, vaginal speculum or proctoscope.’’
- ‘One of the main investigations is a proctoscopy, where a small telescope known as a proctoscope is passed into the anal canal.’
Late 19th century: from Greek prōktos ‘anus’ + -scope.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.