One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting substances that promote the conversion in the blood of the inactive protein prothrombin to the clotting enzyme thrombin.
- ‘In hemostasis, there is a balance between procoagulant factors and natural anticoagulant proteins.’
- ‘Thrombomodulin is an integral membrane glycoprotein that binds thrombin changing it from a procoagulant protein to an anticoagulant.’
- ‘Protective mechanisms prevent thrombin and other procoagulant enzymes from forming in healthy intact blood vessels.’
- ‘Hemostasis involves the integration of many procoagulant proteins, natural anticoagulants, fibrinolytic proteins, and platelet surface glycoproteins.’
- ‘The cap acts as a protective barrier between circulating blood and the thrombogenic, procoagulant contents of the lesion.’
A procoagulant substance.
- ‘When nitric oxide is deficient or used inadequately, endothelium becomes a procoagulant instead of an anticoagulant, and vasoactive molecules, cytokines, and growth factors are formed.’
- ‘The exudate, procoagulants, and leukocytes form casts in the airways, resulting in poor gas exchange.’
- ‘Chemotherapy acts by killing leukemic cells, which release procoagulants that can produce disseminated intravascular coagulation.’
- ‘Taipan venom is overwhelmingly neurotoxic, including pre and post-synaptic neurotoxins, as well as powerful procoagulants and myolysins.’
- ‘This phenomenon is attributed to platelet-aggregating factors and procoagulants from the tumor or its necrotic products.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.