One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound derived from benzoic acid, used as a local anesthetic, especially in dentistry.
- ‘Dr. Persons says that chloroprocaine or procaine (Procaine, Novocain) should be safe in patients with true ‘amide’ allergy because they are esters.’
- ‘In comparative studies, dry needling was found to be as effective as injecting an anesthetic solution such as procaine or lidocaine (Xylocaine).’
- ‘Normal saline solution is used as a placebo and 5% procaine hydrochloride is used as a pharmacologic spinal nerve block.’
- ‘The local anesthetics procaine and tetracaine are known inhibitors of excitation-contraction coupling in frog skeletal muscle.’
- ‘The onset of anesthesia with lidocaine is more rapid and the duration of action is longer than with procaine hydrochloride.’
- ‘Since benzonatate is chemically related to anesthetic agents of the para-amino benzoic acid class, the drug should not be used in patients allergic to ester type agents (e.g., benzocaine, procaine, tetracaine).’
- ‘If the therapeutic effects are satisfactory, at the local tender point, Radices Codonopsis Compositae or procaine solution can be injected, and epidural block therapy at sacral region can be applied.’
- ‘That the White House physician, Dr. Janet Travell, gave him injections of procaine for his pain is old news.’
- ‘Between the 21st July 1995 and the 31st November 1995 all the tablets purchased by the undercover police officers contain ephedrine procaine and ketamine, EPK.’
- ‘It is not surprising because of the stimulant properties that procaine is utilized as counterfeit stimulant in street-drug products although only having 10% of the potency of cocaine.’
- ‘An injectable solution of 1 percent lidocaine or 1 percent procaine is usually used.’
- ‘Injectable local anaesthetics such as lidocaine and procaine (but not cocaine) are allowed only when medically justified, and only if injected into a joint or other affected area, not intravenously.’
- ‘The second criterion was the occurrence of an IMS detection of procaine (an adulterant used to ‘cut’ cocaine).’
- ‘History of an allergy to an ester anesthetic such as procaine is not a contraindication to the use of lidocaine, because they are chemically different, and cross-reaction is rare.’
- ‘Intramuscular administration is possible but causes extreme pain if CaNa2EDTA is not mixed with procaine.’
- ‘With 1 percent procaine and a fine sharp 25-gauge needle, raise skin wheals in the donor site - one for each graft and cut out a pinch of skin.’
- ‘Ongoing staff education activities should include the topic of proper procaine and benzathine administration.’
- ‘In the White House, Kennedy received ‘seven to eight injections of procaine in his back in the same sitting’ before news conferences and other events, Dr. Kelman said.’
Early 20th century: from pro- (denoting substitution) + -caine (from cocaine).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.