One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A leaf-eating monkey native to the forests of Borneo, the male of which is twice the weight of the female and has a large pendulous nose.
Nasalis larvatus, family Cercopithecidae
- ‘Among Asian colobines are Borneo's proboscis monkey, the Chinese snub-nosed monkeys and langurs, such as the douc of South-east Asia.’
- ‘Nine of the 13 primate species of Borneo are found in the park, such as the distinctive proboscis monkey, the agile gibbon, the silvery leaf-eating monkey and the orangutan.’
- ‘For example, you'll probably hear the crash of vegetation before you are able to locate a proboscis monkey high up in the forest canopy.’
- ‘A protagonist with a strong resemblance to a proboscis monkey.’
- ‘She looked like an obese proboscis monkey, wore cat-eye glasses and had football shaped breasts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.