One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound that promotes increased excretion of uric acid and is used to treat gout.
Chemical formula C₁₃H₁₉NO₄S
- ‘Parenteral treatment refused: amoxycillin 500 mg four times a day plus probenecid 500 mg four times a day for 14 days’
- ‘Scientists found that a simple benzoic acid derivative called probenecid stops many drugs, including antibiotics, being removed from the blood by the kidneys.’
- ‘Administration of this drug with probenecid should be avoided as it has been found to inhibit the renal excretion of meropenem.’
- ‘There are two classes of drugs to reduce uric acid: uricosurics, such as probenecid, which increases excretion, and xanthine oxidase inhibitors, such as allopurinol, which reduce production.’
- ‘To decrease the potential for nephrotoxicity, coadministration of probenecid and hydration with 0.9% sodium chloride is required.’
1950s: from pro(pyl) + ben(zoic) + -e- + (a)cid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.