Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of mathematics that deals with quantities having random distributions.
- ‘Her work at this time was on statistics, in particular probability theory, and also on the mathematical theory of plasticity.’
- ‘The mathematical concepts of set theory or even probability theory are useful tools for logically and thoroughly analyzing the outcome of an election.’
- ‘I was appointed Professor of Mathematics to raise the profile of probability theory (but not statistics) in the Faculty of Mathematics.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘At that time, few mathematicians regarded probability theory as an authentic mathematical field, in the same strict sense that they regarded differential and integral calculus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.