One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of mathematics that deals with quantities having random distributions.
- ‘Her work at this time was on statistics, in particular probability theory, and also on the mathematical theory of plasticity.’
- ‘I was appointed Professor of Mathematics to raise the profile of probability theory (but not statistics) in the Faculty of Mathematics.’
- ‘The mathematical concepts of set theory or even probability theory are useful tools for logically and thoroughly analyzing the outcome of an election.’
- ‘At that time, few mathematicians regarded probability theory as an authentic mathematical field, in the same strict sense that they regarded differential and integral calculus.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.