Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to political activism directed toward the establishment of democratic government in a country.‘the pro-democracy movement’
- ‘The case generated street protests that coalesced into a prodemocracy movement.’
- ‘The past few weeks in this tiny Himalayan kingdom have been marked by dozens of pro-democracy rallies.’
- ‘In 1989, the Chinese military cracked down on student-led pro-democracy demonstrations in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.’
- ‘In a forthcoming book, a former Chinese leader tells of the crackdown on the pro-democracy protests of 20 years ago.’
- ‘Television stations in Japan have shown footage of the moment a video journalist was shot dead during the wave of pro-democracy protests sweeping Burma.’
- ‘Tens of thousands of people continue their pro-democracy protests.’
- ‘An underground pro-democracy movement in Vietnam calling itself Viet Tan claims to have thousands of members.’
- ‘Upon his return in 1985, Kim supported a nationwide pro-democracy movement, which toppled the military government.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the pro-democracy National League for Democracy (NLD) held a low-key Union Day ceremony with about 100 members at its headquarters.’
- ‘Police also detained about 75 prodemocracy activists, including several journalists, who defied a ban on rallies in the capital, Kathmandu.’
- ‘He said the provision would exclude many pro-democracy individuals who had been imprisoned for their beliefs.’
- ‘Burmese pro-democracy activists who have fled across the Thai border fear death at the hands of assassins sent to track them down.’
- ‘The military government in Myanmar speaks out about pro democracy protests.’
- ‘A letter threatening campaign violence has been sent to a moderate pro-democracy legislator.’
- ‘There are very few non-democratic countries left that do not have a vigorous pro-democracy movement.’
- ‘The author, a student leader during the 1989 pro-democracy movement, spent seven years in prison in China.’
- ‘He said the party would also look at widening its co-operation with other pro-democracy groups.’
- ‘The United Nations Security Council is now facing increased pressure to condemn the military regime for its bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protests.’
- ‘It shows the body of a Buddhist monk found Sunday in a stream not far from where the pro democracy protests have taken place.’
- ‘Havana is demanding the U.S. mission take down a Christmas display that includes a reference to 75 imprisoned pro-democracy activists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.