Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Advocating legalized abortion.‘a pro-choice demonstration’Compare with pro-life
- ‘I am pro-choice on the abortion for some very simple reasons.’
- ‘While Rudy Giuliani is the most popular figure, the former New York mayor is pro-gay rights and pro-choice on abortion.’
- ‘The latest trial has sparked a renewed drive by pro-choice activists for abortion law reform.’
- ‘He is nominally in support of affirmative action programmes for minorities in America and pro-choice in the abortion debate.’
- ‘Clinton said he was pro-choice while restricting abortion rights.’
- ‘The most powerful statement on abortion in recent times comes from a pro-choice British film-maker.’
- ‘He endorses a hard line on abortion in the platform, but he welcomes pro-choice people in the party.’
- ‘Lazio, for example, is generally thought to be pro-choice, even though he has voted against late-term abortions.’
- ‘Firstly, I feel that I am pro-choice in that I believe women have the right to choose whether they want to have kids or not.’
- ‘Supporters of access to abortion describe themselves as pro-choice; opponents as pro-life.’
- ‘Plenty of people who are personally opposed to abortion are still pro-choice.’
- ‘It has become something of a given, not least among many who are pro-choice, that later abortions are mostly the result of a lack of access to early abortion.’
- ‘I don't have to approve of every single abortion to remain determinedly pro-choice.’
- ‘The issue of the day was abortion, and me being fairly pro-choice, I decided to go for the difficult option, and argue against.’
- ‘She was planning to discuss health care, not her pro-choice stance on abortion, aides said.’
- ‘Currently, a number of court and legal proceedings have further eroded the pro-choice movement.’
- ‘Both sides of the abortion issue are really pro-choice, the dispute is over when the choice has been made.’
- ‘Unless you have a pro-choice doctor with hospital privileges willing to perform an abortion, you will have to travel.’
- ‘The pro-choice movement puts the freedom to choose as their top priority.’
- ‘Politicians who say they are pro-choice on abortion should argue that abortion is a fact of life, and for the reform of abortion law.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.