Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In favor of the availability of medically induced abortion as a means of ending a pregnancy.
- ‘Anyway, they were very sympathetic - the pro-abortion motion was passed unanimously.’
- ‘By now I am sure you must be thinking that I am pro-abortion.’
- ‘According to pro-abortion ideology, conception is a human deed.’
- ‘She even argues that there should be no obligation to refer patients to a pro-abortion doctor.’
- ‘He has bucked the part of the Republican Party who are pro-abortion look-alike Democrats.’
- ‘Perhaps the pro-abortion camp has learned something from the partial birth issue.’
- ‘Enoch countered by pointing to her efforts to prevent the ABA from adopting a pro-abortion stance without consulting the membership.’
- ‘On the pro-abortion side there is a growing recognition of the incoherence of its stance.’
- ‘President-elect Barack Obama promises to be the most virulently pro-abortion president in history.’
- ‘I will not support a pro-choice, pro-abortion candidate.’
- ‘One voice only is given legitimate status, the pro-abortion stance of feminist doctrine.’
- ‘The utter debasement of the proabortion crowd has to be exposed to daylight.’
- ‘Among the most recent foibles, the editor allowed a pro-abortion candidate to place her ad in the diocesan paper.’
- ‘A manifest lack of proper disposition for Holy Communion is found to be present in those who consistently support pro-abortion legislation.’
- ‘Priests have been told to deny communion to pro-abortion Catholic politicians by a senior Vatican cardinal.’
- ‘All, apparently are defensible acts in the eyes of the pro-abortion community.’
- ‘Yet, there was no doubt the target was Giuliani, the pro-abortion rights, pro-gay rights former New York City mayor.’
- ‘However, I hope he realizes that his election was not a mandate to rush ahead with a pro-abortion platform.’
- ‘The occasion for clarifying all this was a fellowship program in which some students elected to work for pro-abortion organizations.’
- ‘The concern has come from a mistaken notion that being pro choice is equal to being pro abortion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.