One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A private apartment in a royal residence.
- ‘A four-post bed, a chair, a fireplace, and another door in a corner that no doubt led to a privy chamber or a wardrobe.’
- ‘This was certainly good food by Tudor standards but it paled compared to the sumptuous meals served to the more senior courtiers, such as the gentlemen of the privy chamber.’
- ‘She curtsied and laid her fingers gently against the ruffled cuff of his sleeve, walking gracefully beside him as they left his privy chambers for the private residence.’
- ‘He served Charles I as one of his privy chamber and acted as vice-chamberlain to his son Charles, Prince of Wales.’
- ‘The size of the palace and the quantity of its contents in combination with Denny's other responsibilities within the privy chamber meant that he did not work alone at Westminster.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.