One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Much is made of a claim that the growth of St Peter Port was based on privateering rather than trade, but such an interpretation is not especially new.’
- ‘The seizure of English shipping in Spain in May 1585 initiated the largest single explosion of privateering, which was to last for the remainder of the century.’
- ‘In part, English success in penetrating Mediterranean markets was due to the prevalence of war and privateering.’
- ‘Piracy against the ships of a hostile nation was perfectly legal - privateering, as it was called, was a lucrative industry.’
- ‘Throughout, Lehman contends that, contrary to the views of many historians, privateering had a significant impact on the outcome of both the American Revolution and the War of 1812.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.