One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The work of a professional practitioner such as a doctor or lawyer who is self-employed.
- ‘Her mother asked the agents to meet him at his office instead, where he was a doctor in private practice.’
- ‘For a lawyer in private practice with a family to support, that's a heavy burden.’
- ‘The Netcare hospital group said most doctors in private practice supported the protest action.’
- ‘In addition, professionals in private practice often report feeling isolated from colleagues.’
- ‘This new insurance system covers the on-site private practice of doctors employed in the public health service.’
- ‘One of the things that makes private practice attractive to practitioners is the opportunity to specialize.’
- ‘Do you think it's harder for people in private practice to be involved in public service?’
- ‘She interviewed four male and four female middle-aged lawyers who were in private practice in the Toronto area.’
- ‘I was vaguely aware of a problem with an escrow account while he was an attorney in private practice in Illinois in the early 1980's.’
- ‘She has a range of experience in the field, working in private practice in Scotland and in the Cayman Islands.’
- ‘The demands of parenthood lead some practitioners to private practice based on a need to have a flexible work schedule.’
- ‘He indicates that in a solicitor's firm in private practice the sort of ratio between salary and overall cost to a firm of a solicitor is between two and two and a half times.’
- ‘In private practice, counselors become responsible for all aspects of establishing and maintaining a client base.’
- ‘This also would cover revealing the details of treatment sufficiently to sue for fees in private practice.’
- ‘Some lawyers who have left private practice point to the billable hour as a central motivation for their departure.’
- ‘Since 1970 he has been in private practice as a building surveyor.’
- ‘Of course the choice for any lawyer isn't just a straight one between private practice and legal aid.’
- ‘The proposed Bill would affect particularly doctors in private practice, but also those in the public sector.’
- ‘In this process, counselors can begin to identify what they want to accomplish as a counselor and in their private practice.’
- ‘Doctors willing to do private practice may be allowed to do after duty period inside the campus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.