One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The work of a professional practitioner such as a doctor or lawyer who is self-employed.
- ‘This also would cover revealing the details of treatment sufficiently to sue for fees in private practice.’
- ‘Some lawyers who have left private practice point to the billable hour as a central motivation for their departure.’
- ‘One of the things that makes private practice attractive to practitioners is the opportunity to specialize.’
- ‘In addition, professionals in private practice often report feeling isolated from colleagues.’
- ‘Since 1970 he has been in private practice as a building surveyor.’
- ‘She interviewed four male and four female middle-aged lawyers who were in private practice in the Toronto area.’
- ‘I was vaguely aware of a problem with an escrow account while he was an attorney in private practice in Illinois in the early 1980's.’
- ‘Her mother asked the agents to meet him at his office instead, where he was a doctor in private practice.’
- ‘Doctors willing to do private practice may be allowed to do after duty period inside the campus.’
- ‘The Netcare hospital group said most doctors in private practice supported the protest action.’
- ‘Of course the choice for any lawyer isn't just a straight one between private practice and legal aid.’
- ‘For a lawyer in private practice with a family to support, that's a heavy burden.’
- ‘The proposed Bill would affect particularly doctors in private practice, but also those in the public sector.’
- ‘He indicates that in a solicitor's firm in private practice the sort of ratio between salary and overall cost to a firm of a solicitor is between two and two and a half times.’
- ‘This new insurance system covers the on-site private practice of doctors employed in the public health service.’
- ‘She has a range of experience in the field, working in private practice in Scotland and in the Cayman Islands.’
- ‘In private practice, counselors become responsible for all aspects of establishing and maintaining a client base.’
- ‘Do you think it's harder for people in private practice to be involved in public service?’
- ‘In this process, counselors can begin to identify what they want to accomplish as a counselor and in their private practice.’
- ‘The demands of parenthood lead some practitioners to private practice based on a need to have a flexible work schedule.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.