One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enlisted person in the armed forces, in particular (in the US Army) an enlisted person ranking above private and below corporal or (in the US Marine Corps) an enlisted person ranking above private and below lance corporal.
- ‘By the time LLVI soldiers begin their first field assignments in a unit, they are often senior privates first class or specialists.’
- ‘Soldiers should work on preparing for promotion two grades up; for example, a private first class should be preparing for the sergeant board.’
- ‘She was discharged as a private first class in August.’
- ‘Of all the conversations I had over those weeks, the one I recall the most was with an infantryman, a private first class.’
- ‘The medical-surgical nurse was responsible for the training of four trauma specialists, two of whom were sergeants, one a specialist, and one a private first class.’
- ‘According to an example Vales gave, a private first class with less than two years in service would be in the A Zone and would receive $6,784.50 for a three-year re-enlistment.’
- ‘I was a private first class, and I was in a mortar platoon.’
- ‘We did, however, have command sergeants major through privates first class apply as well.’
- ‘He was promoted in absentia on May 1 from private first class to the rank of specialist.’
- ‘Gallagher, a private first class in the 1st Engineer Special Brigade, was already ashore.’
- ‘With his eyes grimly locked to mine, he informed me that I would be promoted to private first class that evening.’
- ‘Attendees included privates first class by April 1959; nearly 80 percent were tech service specialists in 1966.’
- ‘They'll revisit the battle sites where the then 26-year-old private first class displayed his gallantry.’
- ‘Specialists and privates first class, lead by newly promoted sergeants, perform most dismounted patrols and observation posts.’
- ‘Then, on the pier near the stern of the USNS Bob Hope, the 50-year-old Petraeus gets into a bantering exchange with a 19-year-old private first class.’
- ‘In July, he was fined $1,640 and demoted to private first class for posting on his blog what the military said was classified material.’
- ‘Justin's brother, Joshua, is a private first class in the 7th Special Forces based out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina.’
- ‘After neutralizing 5 mice his Army buddies promoted him to private first class.’
- ‘Barbisch entered the Army as a private first class in 1967.’
- ‘The Americans - three corporals and one private first class - were from the 4th Ranger Company and had volunteered for a classified mission.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.