Please (used to convey a polite request)‘prithee, Jack, answer me honestly’
please, if you please, if you would be so good, if you wouldn't mind, have the goodness to, prayView synonyms
- ‘Give thou me, I prithee, a break, forsooth.’
- ‘This is seen in the quote: ‘Nay, I prithee put on this gown and this beard; make him believe thou are Sir Topas the curate; do it quickly.’’
- ‘What, prithee, is this all about?’
- ‘And prithee pretty maiden, will you tell me pray, what do you do to afford this most expensive meal?’
- ‘Another boy across the room read the line of the Duke, ‘Ay; prithee, sing.‘’
Late 16th century: abbreviation of I pray thee.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.