One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who makes pictures or designs by printing them from specially prepared plates or blocks.
- ‘Rome in the nineteenth century was a Mecca for painters, sculptors, architects, printmakers, writers, and composers from all over the world.’
- ‘As a printmaker and book illustrator, his clear and imaginative compositions contributed to the popularity of emblem books.’
- ‘The difference between painters, printmakers and photographers can be very large or very small, depending on our point of view or on our vested interest in the distinctions.’
- ‘The printmakers carve and print in the same block.’
- ‘Besnard is little remembered today, but in his time he was regarded as one of the most significant of French artists, both as a printmaker and a painter, particularly in the field of portrait painting.’
- ‘Museum manager Brian Lunger has invited several Pangnirtung artists and printmakers to the opening, including Andrew Qappik and Jolly Attagooyak.’
- ‘Not only has his style of working changed from time to time, he has also changed from being a painter to producing relief sculpture to being a printmaker and finally becoming a mural painter.’
- ‘The recipient of numerous academic and artistic awards, Leher, a printmaker, has exhibited nationally and internationally.’
- ‘Our city is renowned for its historic interest but little is known about its wealth of artists, which includes painters, potters, photographers, weavers and printmakers.’
- ‘Written for photographers, digital and traditional artists and printmakers, Mastering Digital Printing is an in-depth reference to the world of digital printing for photography and fine art.’
- ‘Son Jamie's computer knowledge and background as a printmaker and scenic designer make him the perfect technical services specialist at Allart.’
- ‘Collaboration being a two-way process, printmakers need artists as much as artists need printmakers.’
- ‘The Ashton showcases a collection of artworks from the Fort Worth Circle - painters, sculptors and printmakers prominent here beginning in the 1930s and '40s.’
- ‘Artists who are printmakers work in the medium of lithography; they etch, they engrave.’
- ‘For example, Dutch painters and Japanese printmakers, each in their own unique ways, brought quiet, everyday river scenes to life through their art.’
- ‘It was no wonder that the avant-garde artists and the printmakers who were rejected by the conservative Bunten, Teiten and Inten, tried to organize their own exhibitions.’
- ‘These comprise the papers of a varied group of painters, sculptors, printmakers, craftsmen, architects, designers and photographers from the eighteenth century to the present.’
- ‘The Endowment will support painters, sculptors, printmakers, and other artists in their efforts to better acquaint themselves with the natural world through both museum and field research.’
- ‘Writers, filmmakers, painters or printmakers are often sensitive personalities and feel a need to express their feelings in their works.’
- ‘The surveys also identified the need for cultural space where musicians, visual artists, filmmakers, dancers, printmakers, and other artists could share their skills and work with the community.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.