Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A substance that prepares something for use or action, in particular.
- 1.1another term for primer
- ‘The spot was bright and lively now; but in winter it became necessary to place sandbags against the door, and to stuff up the keyhole against the wind and rain, which had worn the paint so thin that the priming and knotting showed through.’
- 1.2Gunpowder placed in the pan of a firearm to ignite a charge.
- ‘The priming of the Colibri drives its bullet at 375 fps and the Super Colibri clocks a bit faster at 500 fps.’
- ‘All our .30 Carbine ammunition of the time had non-corrosive priming.’
- ‘‘A reloading-kit package includes a press, a priming tool and a powder measure,’ Lee said.’
- ‘Their priming mixture, primer cup and anvil are encased in a battery cup that forms its own self supported metallic pocket when inserted into the shell's primer pocket.’
- ‘CCI and Speer's Clean-Fire ammunition combines a TMJ bullet and a lead core completely encased in copper with a priming mixture that contains no lead, barium or other toxic elements.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.