One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The direct cost of a commodity in terms of the materials and labor involved in its production, excluding fixed costs.
- ‘Clear criteria will be introduced for charging VAT for goods and services that are sold below their prime cost.’
- ‘In a document called ‘Report for 1943 Renegotiation ’, Sperry called it company ‘policy’ to lower the prices of its products when manufacturing experience, reflected by reduced prime costs, was gained.’
- ‘Indirect expenses were to be distributed over the various jobs as a percentage of wages paid or prime cost.’
- ‘The last two years saw a sharp price rise in fuels, which account for some 80 per cent of the prime cost of central heating.’
- ‘According to Wright, the development of scientific costing systems in Britain can be traced back to the work of John Walker, who developed a system of allocating overheads based on prime costs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.