One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A contract whose requirements are partly fulfilled by the awarding of subcontracts.
- ‘This is done in order to counteract the main trend in defense contract awards, which concentrates prime contracts among a very small number of firms - for example, each year approximately two-thirds of such contracts go to 100 firms.’
- ‘Nasa has awarded a $936 million modification to the prime contract for the International Space Station.’
- ‘It is envisaged that the prime contract will be place in the spring of 2004, at which point shipbuilding can begin, and the carriers should enter service in 2012 and 2015.’
- ‘Currently the company has the $6 million prime contract on the largest project in central Pennsylvania, a seven-story judicial center in York County.’
- ‘As well as designing and building the ships, the £130 million prime contract covers the support of the ships through their expected 25-year service life with the Royal Navy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.