Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A contract whose requirements are partly fulfilled by the awarding of subcontracts.
- ‘This is done in order to counteract the main trend in defense contract awards, which concentrates prime contracts among a very small number of firms - for example, each year approximately two-thirds of such contracts go to 100 firms.’
- ‘Currently the company has the $6 million prime contract on the largest project in central Pennsylvania, a seven-story judicial center in York County.’
- ‘Nasa has awarded a $936 million modification to the prime contract for the International Space Station.’
- ‘It is envisaged that the prime contract will be place in the spring of 2004, at which point shipbuilding can begin, and the carriers should enter service in 2012 and 2015.’
- ‘As well as designing and building the ships, the £130 million prime contract covers the support of the ships through their expected 25-year service life with the Royal Navy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.