Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Industry, such as mining, agriculture, or forestry, that is concerned with obtaining or providing natural raw materials for conversion into commodities and products for the consumer.
- ‘At each level of production, from primary industry to finished product and marketing, approximately half the value added is due to labor.’
- ‘Exporters also have opportunities, the best lying in elaborately transformed manufactures and the supply of inputs to export-oriented primary industries and natural resource based manufacturing.’
- ‘Our whole economy is dependent on good science, from the production and processing of our primary industries right across the economy.’
- ‘The share of primary industry in the economic structure decreased steadily from 26.6 percent in 1970 to 5.7 percent in 1997.’
- ‘All the trends are the same; declining employment in manufacturing and in primary industry; rapidly rising in private services.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.