One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fierce competition in which retailers cut prices in an attempt to increase their share of the market.
- ‘In addition to global oversupply, a vicious price war is being played out as global giants vie for market share.’
- ‘The prolonged price war is forcing rival carmakers to offer more creative come-ons.’
- ‘At the same time, though, he's raising fears within the industry of a price war.’
- ‘Leading fuel companies last night joined the petrol price war unleashed by the major supermarket chains.’
- ‘So far this year sales have plummeted in the auto market, with manufacturers involved in a price war amid a sharp decrease in demand.’
- ‘If you decide to build competitive advantage around price, be careful not to start a price war.’
- ‘The moves could spark a price war in a sector that has experienced rises in fees of around 30% over the past three years.’
- ‘Competition in the local game-console market is expected to heat up this summer as the big brands engage in a price war.’
- ‘After a brutal price war in the late '90s, many have become more focused on the bottom line.’
- ‘For now, the cheap financing is mostly helping the auto giant win a price war that its weakened rivals can ill afford.’
- ‘Supermarkets and filling stations launched the latest battle in the petrol price war yesterday with a new round of cost cuts at the pumps.’
- ‘Rather than compete in an unequal price war, the firms have found niche markets to supply and have invested in research and development.’
- ‘The company has been locked in a price war with other PC and computer manufacturers, which has eaten into its profits.’
- ‘They fear customers will switch carriers more often, triggering a price war.’
- ‘A good few years back two of the big supermarkets went head to head on these items in a fierce price war.’
- ‘A petrol price war broke out today with the big supermarkets leading the way in pushing the cost of a litre back below 80p.’
- ‘The company's move comes as personal computer prices continue to fall because of a price war in the sector.’
- ‘With a price war currently raging, it remains to be seen exactly how low operators are prepared to push down prices and how long they will be maintained.’
- ‘The price war has also affected the prices of imported cars.’
- ‘Many expect the ongoing price war among mainland PC makers to continue until at least year end.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.