One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fierce competition in which retailers cut prices in an attempt to increase their share of the market.
- ‘The company's move comes as personal computer prices continue to fall because of a price war in the sector.’
- ‘With a price war currently raging, it remains to be seen exactly how low operators are prepared to push down prices and how long they will be maintained.’
- ‘They fear customers will switch carriers more often, triggering a price war.’
- ‘Many expect the ongoing price war among mainland PC makers to continue until at least year end.’
- ‘Rather than compete in an unequal price war, the firms have found niche markets to supply and have invested in research and development.’
- ‘If you decide to build competitive advantage around price, be careful not to start a price war.’
- ‘In addition to global oversupply, a vicious price war is being played out as global giants vie for market share.’
- ‘Supermarkets and filling stations launched the latest battle in the petrol price war yesterday with a new round of cost cuts at the pumps.’
- ‘The company has been locked in a price war with other PC and computer manufacturers, which has eaten into its profits.’
- ‘Competition in the local game-console market is expected to heat up this summer as the big brands engage in a price war.’
- ‘Leading fuel companies last night joined the petrol price war unleashed by the major supermarket chains.’
- ‘The moves could spark a price war in a sector that has experienced rises in fees of around 30% over the past three years.’
- ‘At the same time, though, he's raising fears within the industry of a price war.’
- ‘A petrol price war broke out today with the big supermarkets leading the way in pushing the cost of a litre back below 80p.’
- ‘After a brutal price war in the late '90s, many have become more focused on the bottom line.’
- ‘The prolonged price war is forcing rival carmakers to offer more creative come-ons.’
- ‘For now, the cheap financing is mostly helping the auto giant win a price war that its weakened rivals can ill afford.’
- ‘The price war has also affected the prices of imported cars.’
- ‘So far this year sales have plummeted in the auto market, with manufacturers involved in a price war amid a sharp decrease in demand.’
- ‘A good few years back two of the big supermarkets went head to head on these items in a fierce price war.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.