One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The imprisonment of a person with the aim of preventing them from committing further offenses or of maintaining public order.
- ‘The right of appeal is critical to any preventive detention policy, especially for U.S. citizen detainees.’
- ‘That option is administrative detention, also known as preventive detention, or internment.’
- ‘The third element is that the range of offences for which preventive detention can be imposed has been widened.’
- ‘It made it more likely that people convicted of particularly heinous offences will get preventive detention.’
- ‘The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the constitutionality of provisions authorizing preventive detention for the purpose of protecting public safety.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.