One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The imprisonment of a person with the aim of preventing them from committing further offenses or of maintaining public order.
- ‘The right of appeal is critical to any preventive detention policy, especially for U.S. citizen detainees.’
- ‘It made it more likely that people convicted of particularly heinous offences will get preventive detention.’
- ‘The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the constitutionality of provisions authorizing preventive detention for the purpose of protecting public safety.’
- ‘The third element is that the range of offences for which preventive detention can be imposed has been widened.’
- ‘That option is administrative detention, also known as preventive detention, or internment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.