One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very nearly.‘the case is pretty well over’
nearly, almost, just about, about, more or less, practically, virtually, all but, as good as, next to, close to, near, nigh on, not far from, not far off, to all intents and purposes, approaching, bordering on, verging on, nearingView synonyms
- ‘I'm pretty well convinced a new table will be needed, too, or at least a different one.’
- ‘I won't of course, but I have pretty well made up my mind not to go on any more of these events.’
- ‘The paraphrase has it that what we are saying is that the surface is pretty nearly bumpy, or very nearly bumpy, or extremely close to being bumpy.’
- ‘We were pretty well informed that the proposal would go through without much of a problem.’
- ‘When we asked we pretty well knew the answer but it was a salutary experience to see how candid they were.’
- ‘The nose aromas are pretty well non-existent, with the merest hint of American oak.’
- ‘Spock is aloof with the rest of the crew, and it's pretty well reciprocated.’
- ‘Saudi is pretty well the only country that can turn a tap on and produce another couple of million barrels.’
- ‘Not that we're expecting any guests in the near future because we're pretty well booked up.’
- ‘The porn they discovered when the boss closed, that was pretty much the last nail in the coffin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.