One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of designer clothes) sold ready-to-wear as opposed to made to measure.‘in 1982, the duo presented their first prêt-à-porter collection in Milan’
Designer clothes sold ready to wear rather than made to measure.‘she pioneered the concept of luxury prêt-à-porter in the 1950s’
- ‘‘We have already succeeded in placing a chocolate shop in the street before a prêt-à-porter boutique got in,’ Langlois says with obvious satisfaction.’
- ‘Already a collaborator with the Genny group, the Gilmar group, Maska and Mariella Burani, Alessandro has been producing his own women's prêt-à-porter (produced by Belle Maille di Carpi) for several years now.’
- ‘A change of guards in Italian Fashion Maisons: Nicola Trussardi has called twenty-six-year-old Parisian Nicolas Ghesquiere to design women's prêt-à-porter and the collection for the USA.’
- ‘They quite obviously send out their spies to the prêt-à-porter shows, and they usually manage to pull off well-cut replicas.’
- ‘Barbie and prêt-à-porter arrived on the scene simultaneously.’
French, literally ‘ready to wear’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.