One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of designer clothes) sold ready-to-wear as opposed to made to measure.‘in 1982, the duo presented their first prêt-à-porter collection in Milan’
Designer clothes sold ready to wear rather than made to measure.‘she pioneered the concept of luxury prêt-à-porter in the 1950s’
- ‘A change of guards in Italian Fashion Maisons: Nicola Trussardi has called twenty-six-year-old Parisian Nicolas Ghesquiere to design women's prêt-à-porter and the collection for the USA.’
- ‘They quite obviously send out their spies to the prêt-à-porter shows, and they usually manage to pull off well-cut replicas.’
- ‘Barbie and prêt-à-porter arrived on the scene simultaneously.’
- ‘‘We have already succeeded in placing a chocolate shop in the street before a prêt-à-porter boutique got in,’ Langlois says with obvious satisfaction.’
- ‘Already a collaborator with the Genny group, the Gilmar group, Maska and Mariella Burani, Alessandro has been producing his own women's prêt-à-porter (produced by Belle Maille di Carpi) for several years now.’
French, literally ‘ready to wear’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.