Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An interference fit between two parts in which one is forced under pressure into a slightly smaller hole in the other.
- ‘Finally, such factors as maintaining tight tolerances on press fits and the likelihood of a warped or bent part can affect the performance of assembly equipment.’
- ‘The electrical connection is through an array of needle-sized eyelets that collapse when the mating connector on the cable is press fit to the PCB.’
- ‘A discrete segment of hard tubing is press fit into the interior of the distal end of a soft catheter.’
- ‘The clone had enough metal at the front to allow the original press fit bushing to be used, but the Browning did not.’
- ‘The plate is a tight press fit in its recess in the synthetic stock and is further secured by a bonding agent.’
- ‘The barrel is cut off just behind the integral front sight boss, and the cut-off sight with integral boss is bored out and press fit over the shortened barrel's muzzle.’
- ‘Next, we saw an ACL reconstruction using a patellar tendon, press fit on the femoral side, and with bioscrew distally.’
- ‘And it doesn't take much expansion to turn the press fit into a self-decapping pocket.’
- ‘The press fit of the adapters into the frame is primarily responsible for retaining the adapters while the three bolts provide additional backup retention.’
- ‘The power cord is held in the case by an interference or press fit therein so that it securely stays in place during transport of the case.’
- ‘I surmised that it might be a press fit, but that turns out not to be the case.’
- ‘They could bore out each side to be slightly oversize, and fabricate and insert a press fit liner to recreate the correct ID of the tube.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.