One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area reserved for journalists at a sports event.
- ‘Besides its unusual dimensions, one other aspect of the Polo Grounds that sticks with me was its press box.’
- ‘Prior to his death, the Cardinals had named the press box at Busch Stadium in his honor.’
- ‘Several fans turned around and yelled angrily into the press box.’
- ‘Once I went to the press box, I instantly became a fish out of water.’
- ‘By the time she got to the Olympics in Seoul people were so skeptical about her performances that when she set a world record of 200m, the press box remained totally silent.’
- ‘Two hours before kickoff, he finds his seat in the press box.’
- ‘On April 11, 1962, he caught the first foul ball hit into the press box at Dodger Stadium.’
- ‘They bring Richard up to the press box and introduce him as the official winner.’
- ‘I saw Berg pick up newspapers in a press box and walk off with them.’
- ‘In the press box, we have the live feed - no commercials or delays - so the experience isn't nearly as painful as it is at home.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the journalists have a tough time in the open press box, when the chill winds from the Pacific Ocean blow across the ground.’
- ‘At half-time, tourists in the press box were cursing that this lowering of standards should have come in such a landmark game.’
- ‘He didn't signal touchdown while looking at the play - instead, he turned toward the press box and made the signal.’
- ‘If I see the corrections have been made, I'll head back upstairs to the press box and keep an eye on things from there with my binoculars.’
- ‘This person is appointed by the league, sits in the press box and determines whether a play is a hit or an error, a wild pitch or a passed ball or even sometimes no play at all.’
- ‘You see, the folks in the press box are smarter than that.’
- ‘I took the elevator to the press box and ran into Rich Rosenblatt, the Associated Press' tireless racing writer.’
- ‘Having decided to stay at home in the United States with her son and continue her troubled Olympic preparations, she has left one or two members of the press box disappointed.’
- ‘A similar project to upgrade the press box will commence once the Pakistani and South Africa tours are concluded.’
- ‘Friendly wagers aside, the press box is a joyless place to watch a game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.