One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has been elected president but has not yet taken up office.
- ‘Obviously, however, a president-elect was in no position to assure the American people that there were no troops in Cambodia.’
- ‘This pattern has solidified the president-elect's victory and bestowed a constitutionally mandated authority upon him.’
- ‘The president-elect needs to be bold in recruiting his ministers.’
- ‘He said that the new director of the service should be elected after consultations between the government and the president-elect.’
- ‘Temple officials beat drums and rang bells to welcome the president-elect, while neighborhood residents set off firecrackers.’
- ‘As I write this, no one knows who will be the president-elect of the United States.’
- ‘The incident emphasises the gulf between the president-elect and his own supporters.’
- ‘The president-elect will certainly have his hands full.’
- ‘Under normal circumstances, a president-elect would have more than two months after the election to prepare his move into the White House.’
- ‘‘This form of communication could become a tradition,’ the president-elect said.’
- ‘Logically a president in power for 4 years is more likely to have a more structured understanding of complex problems than a president-elect.’
- ‘State presidents and presidents-elect brought encouraging reports.’
- ‘Before a president-elect has time to prove himself in office, he gets tested in transition.’
- ‘The president-elect was alluding to the biggest concern of Peru's ruling elite regarding the case.’
- ‘I don't understand why your president-elect should have any problem saying that he is ‘Chinese.’’
- ‘A more serious analysis of the issues was also to be expected because Eisenhower, like all presidents-elect, realized he would have to grapple with the world's problems within a matter of weeks.’
- ‘The U.S. president-elect will have to pay attention.’
- ‘The president-elect is likely to bring new leaders into office and this could set into motion processes that bring changes in policy.’
- ‘He is the president-elect of the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.’
- ‘Ministerial appointments in Indonesia, as elsewhere, are the exclusive privilege of the president-elect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.