One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.
- ‘The presentism of many essayists also creates conflicting interpretations.’
- ‘First, the individual must have the capacity to live in the moment or a sense of presentism; gratification must be immediate and functionally specific because there is no tomorrow in the world of fashion or desire.’
- ‘This solid study challenges such self satisfied presentism.’
- ‘For example, A. N. Prior, in seeking to mount a defense of presentism - the doctrine that there are no future or past objects - encountered the problem of individuals that no longer exist.’
- ‘While such presentism gives his work immediacy, it also risks limiting historical issues to current concerns.’
- ‘There are two camps opposed to presentism, the camp that says the past and present are real, and the camp that says the past, present, and future are real.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.