One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excluding those who are here now.
- ‘He is a really smart guy, he's been managing editor of ‘The New York Times’ and he has been writing I would say the best column in American journalism over the past two years, present company excepted.’
- ‘I'm the best thing this Department ever had, present company excepted.’
- ‘Well, I think we do know that the television media - present company excepted of course - have not been giving him a very good break.’
- ‘Well, frankly, present company excepted, Mike and Jenny are the only Christians I ever met who behaved at all like what I've heard of Christ.’
- ‘Everybody I know is dead now, present company excepted.’
- ‘Present company excepted, I think it's just an excuse for the vain and shallow to fill their otherwise empty leisure time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.