One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(usually as a command) hold a rifle vertically in front of the body as a salute.
- ‘The World War I story of ‘preachers presenting arms’ has been told before, but Gamble tells it well.’
- ‘Officers saluted the coffin and a picture of Kabila, as a military band played the national anthem, and an honour guard presented arms.’
- ‘For each of the drill movements, you have to be really conscious of what you're timing is, so every time you go from standing at ease to present arms, there's a set order to get there.’
- ‘The Victoria and Albert cast off from Port Victoria Pier at 20 minutes after 3 and steamed down to Sheerness Harbour, the crews of the vessels in the river manning ship and the guards presenting arms as her Majesty passed.’
- ‘When the casket is removed from the hearse, the squad presents arms and then performs the military ritual.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.