One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Qualify in advance to take part in something.
- ‘‘There are four pre-qualifying events which all take place at the same time - between March 31 and April 1,’ said Wheatley.’
- ‘It allows the agency to be found and pre-qualified and gets them into pitches.’
- ‘Few schools did take the initiative of pre-qualifying the transport contractors and assessing the quality of their fleets.’
- ‘His aim was to get through five matches to progress through pre-qualifying to qualifying proper for the televised tournament.’
- ‘In this article, we'll go over the preliminary steps of getting pre-qualified and/or pre-approved for a mortgage, and then we examine the different types of lenders.’
- ‘There are five phases over six days, beginning with pre-qualifying in which competitors without priority status can make it to the 128-man field.’
- ‘And less than two weeks after that, he was reduced to pre-qualifying for the Open.’
- ‘It's a problem in a way because you are always at the front in pre-qualifying and that can make it very difficult.’
- ‘He is reconciled to pre-qualifying for the US Open, dismissing suggestions that victory in Germany could change the situation for the better.’
- ‘‘There may well be a chance of playing in the Hong Kong Open next month if some of the bigger names pull out and I might even go to South Africa to try to pre-qualify for their tour early next year,’ he added.’
- ‘If he retains that level throughout the season, Gray will not have to pre-qualify for the World Championships at The Crucible in Sheffield in April.’
- ‘With rain forecast for the end of the final qualifying session, many drivers went out of their way to avoid being fastest in pre-qualifying and therefore last to run in the qualifying session that determines starting positions.’
- ‘Therefore, a kiosk must be installed in retail stores that enables users to pre-qualify for service at the point of sale.’
- ‘Then let the bureaucrats pre-qualify the bidders by carefully scrutinizing their track records, resources and proposed fees.’
- ‘The mortgage application form can be filed out prior to the trip and, on payment of a credit check fee of $125, the potential purchaser can pre-qualify without being tied to any particular property.’
- ‘So go get pre-approved, get pre-qualified when you get into the marketplace, so you're positioned to make a good deal…’
- ‘‘The parties had to reach a high threshold to pre-qualify and we now look forward to inviting them to submit detailed bids outlining what they will do for passengers and taxpayers,’ added Mr Bowker.’
- ‘Neither New Zealand nor Great Britain managed to pre-qualify for next year's Olympic Games and will have to travel to Madrid in March to take part in the dreaded Qualifier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.