Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who believes a catastrophic disaster or emergency is likely to occur in the future and makes active preparations for it, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies.‘there's no agreement among preppers about what disaster is most imminent’‘whether you're a doomsday prepper or simply like to be prepared, emergency foods should be kept on hand’
- ‘She insists that preppers are not synonymous with gun owners.’
- ‘Simon is one of a small, but growing number of British preppers.’
- ‘The former soldier (many preppers have a military background) has a large selection of pulses and freeze-dried meals at his home, along with 140 kg of rice.’
- ‘The majority of preppers see guns as a key part of their survival kit: not necessarily for self-defence, but certainly as a weapon to hunt food with.’
- ‘A large array of websites, online forums, radio shows and shops cater to preppers and their belief that something terrible may just happen.’
- ‘She's what you might call a modern-day survivalist, or as she describes it, a "prepper."’
- ‘Whether they are defending themselves or especially when they defend the lives of those that they love the most, a prepper's primary goal is to protect life.’
- ‘So if the world ends tomorrow and someone survives it, they're probably going to be a prepper.’
- ‘So at the end of the day, you know, it's better to err on the side of caution, and what preppers are doing really is erring on the side of caution.’
- ‘Many preppers are preparing to be self-sufficient for threats like nuclear war, natural disaster, famine, and economic collapse.’
- ‘One of the recent episodes featured a prepper planning to flee Manhattan if a major storm hit and flooded the city.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.