Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Add (something) to the beginning of something else.‘you forgot to prepend ‘I personally believe’ to the statements you are making’
attach, build on, add on, put on, put in, append, adjoin, join, affix, connect, annexView synonyms
- ‘We told her that she always has to prepend the area code even if its a local call.’
- ‘For shopping sites I use a standard 'stem' containing a mix of alphanumerics and prepend a couple of letters to the front to represent the last item I bought, then change it every time I buy something new.’
- ‘There's a simple productive rule for forming the antonym of any noun: Just prepend "anti".’
- ‘Why do people without a credible argument so often think that prepending words with the "neo" prefix will somehow make their claims and slogans right regardless?’
Attach (a piece of data) to the beginning of another.‘in this case, you must prepend the server name to the database name, separated by a period’
- ‘It'll also prepend the date to the file name so everything is sorted in the order it was archived.’
- ‘The hash (#) character is used to declare a temporary table as it is prepended to the table name.’
- ‘If you'd like to temporarily "disable" a user from logging in to the system without deleting his or her account, simply prepend an asterisk to the password field in / etc / passwd.’
- ‘Notice that before you pass the script name you have to prepend an ampersand '&' symbol and enclose the entire script path in double quotes.’
- ‘The number prepended to the user name, 1 in this case, tells the server what VNC session number is mapped to each user.’
Late 19th century: blend of prefix + append.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.