One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As a preparation for.‘she applied her makeup preparatory to leaving’
in preparation for, in advance of, before, prior to, previous to, in anticipation of, in expectation of, leading up toView synonyms
- ‘I used to watch in shuddering horror when Papa would allow the boiler at the laundry to cool down preparatory to climbing inside the monster to make some repair.’
- ‘On my return to campus I am visited by Fred, an architect who comes once a week to my apartment for private conversation lessons preparatory to taking a language test at the Hong Kong Canadian consulate.’
- ‘That song always reminds me of sitting on my bedroom floor making collages for my portfolio, preparatory to going for my interview for the art A-level course at Brunel College of Arts and Technology (now City of Bristol College).’
- ‘He explained that civil orders - similar to anti-social behaviour orders - could be imposed against individuals who had not committed an offence but were suspected of ‘acts preparatory to terrorism’.’
- ‘My grandmother once dressed him in a white silk suit preparatory to having his portrait made, so Papa promptly went out back, turned the wash pot over and rolled in the contents, soot and all.’
- ‘At the moment, though, they are rehearsing with their band in a studio in Edinburgh, preparatory to hitting the road early next month.’
- ‘This afternoon I used various cleaning substances and a battery powered scrubbing device to eliminate anything growing in the grout along the edge of my tub preparatory to re-sealing the seam with silicon.’
- ‘The committee made recommendations regarding various aspects of the programme, preparatory to its expansion.’
- ‘The Le Monde report I linked to at the time claims that the drone was used to recce French positions in Ivory Coast preparatory to air attack by the Sukhoi 25s.’
- ‘The employee has an additional right under ERA 1996, s. 47D not to be subjected to any detriment, other than dismissal, arising from exercising these rights, or certain acts preparatory to that, as specified.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.