Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
preliminary, initial, prior, introductory, prefatory, opening, basic, elementary, fundamental, rudimentary, preparative, precursory, initiatoryView synonyms
- ‘More than 30 companies will be represented at the Trade Exhibition where they will occupy over 70 stands displaying and demonstrating a variety of microscopes, accessories, preparative equipment and consumables.’
- ‘For bone marrow transplantation, to get a stem cell transplant to work, you need to treat the host with lethal doses of preparative irradiation, which has severe side effects.’
- ‘Research suggests that counterfactual comparisons help people draw preparative lessons for improved future performance.’
- ‘The last part of the book, ‘Tools and Methods for Experiments and Measurements’, encompasses a variety of preparative methods and experimental designs offering an insight into the formulation of emulsions and suspensions.’
- ‘She had already begun preparative work after she graduated from ENS.’
A thing that acts as a preparation.‘schools where parents send children as a preparative for worldly success’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.