Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Order (an item of merchandise) before it is available, with the understanding that it will be shipped later.
- ‘The book certainly appears like it will be worth a read - I have pre-ordered a copy from Amazon.’
- ‘You can start attempting to pre-order any time you want, folks.’
- ‘You can pre-order it at the link provided below.’
- ‘Customers will be able to pre-order their iPad starting on March 12.’
- ‘Downloading the single also gives the chance to pre-order a limited edition digital version of the album.’
- ‘There are plenty of links at the website to places where you can pre-order both.’
- ‘You can now pre-order your copy from our online store.’
- ‘With all the other international sites, you can pre-order this item now.’
- ‘Believe me, I'm gonna pre-order my copy!’
- ‘A big thank you to all those who have pre-ordered - we haven't forgotten you.’
- ‘Microsoft said even before the game went on sale, fans had pre-ordered 1.7 million copies.’
- ‘In the last week, about 50,000 or 7,000 a day have been pre-ordered.’
- ‘Customers that pre-order an iPad can choose to have their tablet delivered, or reserved for pickup at their local Apple Retail Store.’
- ‘Landmark is offering customers who pre-order a 10 percent discount.’
- ‘Yes, Walter, I bought a copy and have pre-ordered the first expansion pack.’
- ‘The company's newest product, the iPad, can now be pre-ordered online.’
- ‘A standard edition, without the lunchbox packaging, can still be pre-ordered here.’
- ‘I made soup from organic vegetables which I had pre-ordered from a list of goodies from small scale, local producers.’
- ‘Click right here to pre-order a copy from Amazon.’
- ‘Gamers can also join the beta test by pre-ordering the game at select retailers.’
An order for an item that has not yet been made commercially available.
- ‘We will be taking pre-orders for the GM Screen at our online store in a few days.’
- ‘Sony is finally taking pre-orders for its Reader ebook handheld in the UK at 199, ahead of the Amazon Kindle.’
- ‘Remember that you can place a pre-order for the screen now at our online store.’
- ‘We will have t-shirts for sale very soon & will be accepting pre-orders for them immediately.’
- ‘Although two years behind schedule the A380 already has 14 airlines with pre-orders committing themselves to 173 planes.’
- ‘The first twenty pre-orders will also receive a specially burned Christmas cd of some favorite holiday tunes.’
- ‘Along with your pre-order, you will receive a free Print of one of my affirmations.’
- ‘Apple still has not announced a ship date in the UK, and is not currently taking pre-orders.’
- ‘Amazon is taking pre-orders for an expected March release.’
- ‘Across the Atlantic, phone company O2 has had to stop taking pre-orders.’
- ‘The Massage Parlor action set is already generating many pre-orders according to Hasbro.’
- ‘Most Hong Kong based retailers seem to be accepting pre-orders already.’
- ‘Lexus claimed a record 11,000 pre-orders by late fall for its luxury hybrid SUV, the RX 400h, out in early 2005.’
- ‘Last week the high street chain Woolworths issued a press release saying that it was taking a pre-order for a PS3 every 20 seconds.’
- ‘I purchased a few more games today, plus several preorders in the last several days.’
- ‘The most likely explanation for the delayed delivery for new pre-orders is that the first batch of iPads is already sold out.’
- ‘Apple is off to a strong start with iPad pre-orders, with approximately 240,000 in the first two weeks, according to an estimate.’
- ‘Elevator just hit shelves there, with pre-orders at 12,000.’
- ‘Each pre-order will be accompanied with a Group Ticket Letter.’
- ‘Apple introduced the iPad in January and will begin taking pre-orders on March 12.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.