Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Anticipating the modern phase or period of something while not actually belonging to it.‘our nostalgia for premodern times when natural bonds to kith and kin were unshakable continues to surface’
- ‘The literature describes patron-client relations as having both premodern and modern forms.’
- ‘The professions brought into the modern world ideals that were premodern and predemocratic.’
- ‘Essays attempted in a variety of ways to situate contemporary architects in relation to premodern Japanese architecture.’
- ‘Even with Fujian's particular traditions in tree cultivation, the Fujianese had difficulty keeping pace with harvesting in the premodern period.’
- ‘In premodern Europe, as Hollenbach reminds us, the notion of the common good was a living ideal, articulated and reinforced by the church.’
- ‘A more relevant comparison would be to contrast the impact of the British in Tasmania with that of other imperial powers on indigenous people in the premodern period.’
- ‘These alternative worlds integrate appealing elements of the premodern past into a vision of the future.’
- ‘These officials and the circle of provincial gentry within which they moved had a vested interest in preserving a premodern, landed order tied to the British empire.’
- ‘This brings us to an apparent point of difference between premodern and modern anti-Semitism.’
- ‘More important, there is one way in which premodern Kashmir was Edenic, at least in the common view of the place in the period before and just after partition.’
- ‘During the premodern period, meat was proscribed under the tenets of Buddhism.’
- ‘Turning to premodern, non-Western examples, he asks how we know if we are looking at pictures or at writing - and concludes that the dividing line here is not easy to establish.’
- ‘But foremost, it is groundbreaking and should stimulate a re-examination of late premodern American medicine.’
- ‘Iconography as an art historical practice, particularly in the study of premodern and early modern art, has long been under critical reassessment.’
- ‘This is partly because it is willing to access premodern Bible studies, which often took seriously the coherence and impact of the biblical narrative.’
- ‘Elite mandarins and scholars in the premodern period composed sophisticated poetry.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.