One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The office or position of a prime minister or other head of government.
headship, directorship, direction, governorship, governance, administration, jurisdiction, captaincy, superintendency, control, ascendancy, rule, command, power, mastery, domination, dominion, sovereigntyView synonyms
- ‘Reporters claim that he is desperately alone, at a turning point in his premiership.’
- ‘The last mission of his premiership will be finding policies to neutralise both.’
- ‘This must be the fastest rise to premiership of someone elected to the senate - just three days.’
- ‘Being sceptical about the polls is, of course, convenient at this phase of his premiership.’
- ‘Finding a more robust role in the world is emerging as a hallmark of Koizumi's premiership.’
- ‘There is a choice and, if he does not make it, ultimately it will wreck his premiership.’
- ‘He has had to swallow the remains of what was once a great strategic ambition of his premiership.’
- ‘So, on the evidence of the bulk of his first premiership, what kind of political animal are we dealing with?’
- ‘The period of Mendès France's premiership saw the rise of the Poujadist movement.’
- ‘Against the odds, however, he has enjoyed the most successful three months of his entire premiership.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.