One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The office or position of a prime minister or other head of government.
headship, directorship, direction, governorship, governance, administration, jurisdiction, captaincy, superintendency, control, ascendancy, rule, command, power, mastery, domination, dominion, sovereigntyView synonyms
- ‘Being sceptical about the polls is, of course, convenient at this phase of his premiership.’
- ‘Against the odds, however, he has enjoyed the most successful three months of his entire premiership.’
- ‘So, on the evidence of the bulk of his first premiership, what kind of political animal are we dealing with?’
- ‘There is a choice and, if he does not make it, ultimately it will wreck his premiership.’
- ‘He has had to swallow the remains of what was once a great strategic ambition of his premiership.’
- ‘The period of Mendès France's premiership saw the rise of the Poujadist movement.’
- ‘Reporters claim that he is desperately alone, at a turning point in his premiership.’
- ‘The last mission of his premiership will be finding policies to neutralise both.’
- ‘Finding a more robust role in the world is emerging as a hallmark of Koizumi's premiership.’
- ‘This must be the fastest rise to premiership of someone elected to the senate - just three days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.