One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a complex of symptoms (including emotional tension and fluid retention) experienced by some women in the days immediately before menstruation.
- ‘The main outcome measure was a reduction in overall symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘Herbalists often remedy minor complaints like colds and chronic ailments like acne, arthritis, and premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘Those are just symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘It turns out that she's provided a natural way to help prevent premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘It can help with weight loss and premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘Many women with premenstrual syndrome can be treated with behavioural, dietary, or lifestyle changes.’
- ‘One of the numerous treatments suggested for premenstrual syndrome is vitamin B6.’
- ‘Women with premenstrual syndrome are more likely to become depressed.’
- ‘A landmark study into treating premenstrual syndrome using multivitamin, mineral and herbal supplements could help reduce symptoms is seeking 200 women who experience the problem.’
- ‘The range of physical and mental symptoms called premenstrual syndrome can affect women two to 14 days before menstruation begins.’
- ‘This can result from physical or chemical injury, from burns or from hormonal causes, as in premenstrual syndrome.’
- ‘Our belief that the dysphoria of menopause or premenstrual syndrome is caused by ‘hormone imbalance’ is largely just supposition and doesn't rest on any hard scientific proof of the effect of hormones on the brain.’
- ‘PMS - premenstrual syndrome - just the thought of it makes women who suffer from it want to cringe.’
- ‘The week or so before the menstrual period is often characterized by symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.’
premenstrual syndrome/prēˈmenstr(əw)əl ˈsinˌdrōm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.