Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Before the due time; ahead of time.‘his son died prematurely’as submodifier ‘prematurely gray hair’
too soon, too early, before the usual time, ahead of time, before one's timeView synonyms
- ‘Another important component of a policy is life cover, so that the cost of the animal is refunded should it die prematurely.’
- ‘Yet for most mortals, the sight of loved ones suffering or dying prematurely is not ennobling.’
- ‘She went public about the sensitive issue of her identity after the match prematurely ended.’
- ‘Mac's face seemed prematurely grey and aged, his body hunched as he read.’
- ‘He said that some men would slip away and leave the centre prematurely and end back on the streets or in prison again.’
- ‘Five of his mother's brothers had gone down the pit and died prematurely because of their working conditions.’
- ‘Milan, she would tell me in our long phone calls, was looking shrivelled and prematurely aged.’
- ‘If they have been chased around by a dog they could end up giving birth prematurely, which could cause problems and even death.’
- ‘When my son was born prematurely I was convinced that it was my fault.’
- ‘He was born prematurely on January 8 last year and died three days later.’
- ‘Being born prematurely can increase the risk of being deaf or becoming deaf.’
- ‘Her hair had greyed prematurely, her once youthful face was lined with worry and fraught with grief.’
- ‘It is the loneliest job in the world they say, and more than one comic has died prematurely from the stress of trying to make others laugh.’
- ‘Aimee was born two weeks prematurely and had to spend four weeks in special care, though this was not linked to her liver problem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.