One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Load beforehand.‘the software comes preloaded on the PC’
- ‘Delivery maybe deferred allowing for new software to be preloaded.’
- ‘Each iMac was preloaded with Mac OS 9, and needed to continue to run that operating system during the day.’
- ‘Operators could preload content as added value’
- ‘UK system builder Brown is preloading software on its PCs which is designed to slash its support costs by 25 per cent.’
- ‘Today, all IBM personal computers are preloaded with a Microsoft Windows operating system.’
- ‘These computer systems are a perfect low cost alternative to computers preloaded with Microsoft Windows.’
- ‘Pricey, perhaps, but Olive will preload the machine with a stack of CDs you provide.’
- ‘In this case, Intrawest bought machines preloaded with Linux and the company will continue to use them, Dunn says.’
- ‘Microsoft no longer preloads a version of its Reader software (used to read e-books) because it wants to save room for applications used more frequently.’
- 1.1 Give (a mechanical component) an internal load independent of any working load, typically in order to reduce distortion or noise in operation.
- ‘The cup threads down to preload the bearings and adjust the headset independent of the stem.’
- ‘To minimize wobble, the rails are preloaded to apply pressure uniformly along the bearing.’
- ‘The hammer strut is preloaded and separate from the trigger system.’
A thing loaded or applied as a load beforehand.‘prices include DOS and Windows preload’
- ‘‘Since this material is expanding over time,’ Jacobs says, ‘we can maintain or retain fastener preload through the life of the vehicle.’’
- ‘Rossi is trying to recall the setting on his front fork preload.’
- ‘According to IBM, the preloads offer customers more choice and ‘lower costs, greater stability and increased security’.’
- ‘For the track, the compression had been turned way in from the standard setting, some preload added and the rebound left alone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.