One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Load beforehand.‘the software comes preloaded on the PC’
- ‘Delivery maybe deferred allowing for new software to be preloaded.’
- ‘These computer systems are a perfect low cost alternative to computers preloaded with Microsoft Windows.’
- ‘Microsoft no longer preloads a version of its Reader software (used to read e-books) because it wants to save room for applications used more frequently.’
- ‘UK system builder Brown is preloading software on its PCs which is designed to slash its support costs by 25 per cent.’
- ‘Pricey, perhaps, but Olive will preload the machine with a stack of CDs you provide.’
- ‘Each iMac was preloaded with Mac OS 9, and needed to continue to run that operating system during the day.’
- ‘Today, all IBM personal computers are preloaded with a Microsoft Windows operating system.’
- ‘In this case, Intrawest bought machines preloaded with Linux and the company will continue to use them, Dunn says.’
- ‘Operators could preload content as added value’
- 1.1 Give (a mechanical component) an internal load independent of any working load, typically in order to reduce distortion or noise in operation.
- ‘To minimize wobble, the rails are preloaded to apply pressure uniformly along the bearing.’
- ‘The hammer strut is preloaded and separate from the trigger system.’
- ‘The cup threads down to preload the bearings and adjust the headset independent of the stem.’
A thing loaded or applied as a load beforehand.‘prices include DOS and Windows preload’
- ‘According to IBM, the preloads offer customers more choice and ‘lower costs, greater stability and increased security’.’
- ‘Rossi is trying to recall the setting on his front fork preload.’
- ‘‘Since this material is expanding over time,’ Jacobs says, ‘we can maintain or retain fastener preload through the life of the vehicle.’’
- ‘For the track, the compression had been turned way in from the standard setting, some preload added and the rebound left alone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.