Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Occurring before a flight in an aircraft.‘our detailed preflight briefing’
- ‘They had to attend preflight briefings and debriefings on their return.’
- ‘Despite being behind schedule, I conducted an unhurried preflight, added a quart of oil and found nothing abnormal whatsoever during the subsequent engine start, run-up and takeoff.’
- ‘The proper training, getting checked out in unfamiliar aircraft, preflight planning and an airworthy plane are vital for your safety.’
- ‘The preflight planning and crew briefing went smoothly.’
- ‘While the last checks were completed, I reflected on my preflight briefing concerning the unlikely event that I might have to divert.’
- ‘Of perhaps greater dismay to the Board, of 42 exit row passengers, only 10 read the safety card and watched the preflight briefing from the flight attendants.’
- ‘Upon completing preflight training, we were shipped to Lafayette, Louisiana, for primary flight instruction.’
- ‘He breathes from a portable oxygen canister while doing his preflight, being sure not to inhale any outside air as it would instantly cancel out the effects of the pre-breathing.’
- ‘Airspace constraints are explained during the preflight briefing.’
- ‘Of 399 passengers, the Board found that nearly half ignored the safety card in the seat back pocket and the preflight briefing by flight attendants.’
- ‘The team could then begin its preflight briefing.’
- ‘Since the 1950s, air traffic specialists have handled preflight weather briefings for pilots of small aircraft.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.