One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical condition existing at a time when new insurance is applied for. Typically the cost of its treatment is not covered by the insurance.
- ‘Those with preexisting conditions or high medical costs will be protected because they will have guaranteed coverage with any plan they choose.’
- ‘Without such protection, individuals could easily be denied new insurance because of a preexisting condition such as heart disease, diabetes, or pregnancy.’
- ‘Insurance companies may deny insurance to those they consider to be at too great a risk for an illness or to those with preexisting conditions.’
- ‘Boot camp is physically arduous and many young men and women are unable, whether because of an injury or a preexisting condition, to meet its demands.’
- ‘Whenever I applied for insurance, I could not get it [due to] preexisting conditions.’
- ‘Many dog health insurers will not cover your pet if she has a preexisting condition or a terminal illness.’
- ‘Potential alternate insurance carriers readily assign preexisting conditions that could prevent us from switching to a different insurance company.’
- ‘Patients were hospitalized because of exacerbation of a preexisting condition or the need for further treatment.’
- ‘He duped them into paying $3,000 per policy, officials say, by claiming he had found a loophole that excluded pregnancy for unemployed women from being a preexisting condition.’
- ‘Under the clause, a preexisting condition may not be necessarily known to the insured.’
- ‘Suddenly, her brain tumor was a preexisting condition, and the best plans wouldn't cover her.’
- ‘When you change jobs, you can go for several months without coverage, or run into problems with a preexisting condition.’
- ‘The trust element is critical, so I need to know about preexisting conditions, It's hard for dancers to talk about this because we are so vulnerable, especially in the fragile dance economy we're in.’
- ‘So it was particularly painful, after he was dropped from his private health insurance plan in 2003, to learn that no insurance company would cover him because of his preexisting condition.’
- ‘With preexisting conditions, you can get insurance but the cost is too much.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.