One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on a bird) a gland at the base of the tail that produces the oil used in preening.
- ‘Preening behaviors in birds-including bathing in water or dust and coating feathers with oils from preen glands are commonly thought to improve feather condition.’
- ‘More work is needed on the function and distribution of preen glands in Rock Doves and across other species of birds.’
- ‘This gap made it difficult for the bird to seal and waterproof that area with the oils from his preen gland.’
- ‘Our results provide the first rigorous evidence that the preen gland is important for plumage condition in birds other than waterfowl.’
- ‘However, perhaps the plumage of birds with preen glands is more resilient to abrasion from preening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.