Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(on a bird) a gland at the base of the tail that produces the oil used in preening.
- ‘This gap made it difficult for the bird to seal and waterproof that area with the oils from his preen gland.’
- ‘Preening behaviors in birds-including bathing in water or dust and coating feathers with oils from preen glands are commonly thought to improve feather condition.’
- ‘However, perhaps the plumage of birds with preen glands is more resilient to abrasion from preening.’
- ‘Our results provide the first rigorous evidence that the preen gland is important for plumage condition in birds other than waterfowl.’
- ‘More work is needed on the function and distribution of preen glands in Rock Doves and across other species of birds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.