One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a time before a period regarded as classical, especially in music, literature, or history.
- ‘Look out for Glossa, a Spanish label rich in little-known pre-classical and classical music.’
- ‘T. R. Johnson, in ‘Writing as Healing and the Rhetorical Tradition,’ offers a provocative, carefully crafted rereading of connections between pre-classical, expressivist, and postmodern conceptions of self and truth.’
- ‘The pre-classical Greek alphabet contained several symbols that did not survive into classical times but nonetheless had an influence beyond Greek.’
- ‘Susan C. Jarratt's article, ‘Sappho's Memory,’ offers an exploration of the relationship between gender and memory in pre-classical and classical Greece and Rome by exploring the spaces in which and about which Sappho wrote.’
- ‘Arnold C. Brackman writes in The Dream of Troy: ‘[Schliemann] discovered a Lost world, a pre-classical civilization in the Aegean, which was never thought to have existed.’’
- ‘From the fifth century onwards, the species of large animals, whether cattle, sheep, swine, or even poultry, disappear and were replaced everywhere, until the end of the middle ages, by the smaller breeds of the pre-classical period.’
- ‘We perform classical, pre-classical, romanticism pieces, with domination of Bulgarian folk and church-Slavonic music.’
- ‘Where else in Europe do the traces of pre-classical life leave so much to be puzzled over by antiquarians, anthropologists, historians, and psychologists?’
- ‘It has been well said that to exclude the voice from pre-classical music would lose us most of the repertoire.’
- ‘The earliest forms of military headdress date from pre-classical times and were caps or helmets of leather, stiffened cloth, and metal.’
- ‘In pre-classical economic theory the primary constraint upon growth was capital.’
- ‘The Northern School finally fell, along with the rest of pre-classical Ch'an, in the persecution of 845.’
- ‘However, historian Will Durant correctly observed: ‘Europe and America are the spoiled child and grandchild of Asia and have never quite realized the wealth of their pre-classical inheritance.’’
- ‘Thirty-five Thracian tombs have so far been discovered in Bulgaria and all of them have pre-classical vaults (false vaults) made during the period fifth to the third centuries BCE.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.