One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly attractive and valuable piece of mineral or rock, used especially in jewelry; a gemstone.
- ‘Much of the jewellery is set with precious stones.’
- ‘Her recent innovation in her favourite art form is using real precious stones for a piece ordered by a famous jewellery shop.’
- ‘There are earrings with precious stones in red, green and blue at another stall.’
- ‘Local jewellers do not sell 1,000 precious stones per day.’
- ‘There was a separate stall for jewels embellished with precious stones like pearls, ruby and emerald.’
- ‘The combination of gold with creative materials, colourful precious stones and semi-precious stones is also very much in vogue.’
- ‘The price largely depends upon the quantity of platinum in the jewellery piece in addition to the precious stones it might be studded with and also the designs.’
- ‘Statues may contain healing herbs, sacred objects, precious stones or jewels, or other offerings.’
- ‘Traders in Livingstone have been urged to start dealing in gemstones to sell the precious stones to the many tourists who visit the tourist capital.’
- ‘Last he took out a golden brooch with a few precious stones in it.’
- ‘One gesture from him, and the women in fur silently opened a bag filled with jewels and precious stones.’
- ‘They design, cut and set a variety of semi-precious and precious stones into charming pieces.’
- ‘Gemstone settings are basically any setting with a combination of diamonds and other precious stones.’
- ‘Making jewelry and cutting precious stones also are traditional handicrafts in Gujarat.’
- ‘Likewise, no true pleasure is attained from gems and precious stones, although admittedly a false sense of joy may be felt.’
- ‘The range of geological subjects is wide: minerals, rocks, precious stones, and the means of working them.’
- ‘The country has petroleum, precious stones, timber and minerals such as lead, zinc, tin and tungsten as well as some of the lowest wage levels in Asia.’
- ‘The fecund decorations are transplanted in the exquisitely designed gold-plated jewels embellished with precious stones.’
- ‘The priests put the king's jewelry and precious stones in between the layers of cloth.’
- ‘Customers not only had the privilege to see, feel, and experience the jewellery but also learn more about the precious stone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.