Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Gold, silver, and platinum.
riches, valuables, jewels, gems, gold, silver, precious metals, money, cashView synonyms
- ‘Silver is a precious metal because it lasts, holding its beauty over time through all kinds of geologic pressures.’
- ‘Lamps in olden times were made of commonly available metals including gold and other precious metals and stones.’
- ‘While equities languish, precious metals such as gold have seen their value soar as investors seek a safe haven during uncertain times.’
- ‘The colony was relatively wealthy and embellishments with precious metals and jewels became the norm.’
- ‘The theory behind the excess gold is that the precious metal's increase in value over the decades meant that the Swiss National Bank had twice as much as it needed to back the Swiss franc.’
- ‘This is often a precious metal, although platinum is the metal which is widely used for most catalytic converters.’
- ‘Prices have doubled in the past year, often selling at a premium to other precious metals such as platinum.’
- ‘A decline in the value of the US unit against other currencies tends to boost gold prices because the precious metal is priced in dollars on world markets.’
- ‘Prominent among them has been a sharp rise in the price of gold and in other precious metals such as platinum.’
- ‘As with most precious metals, in time silver will oxidize.’
- ‘There were long periods when you were backed by gold and other precious metals.’
- ‘There is another way to invest in gold without buying the precious metal itself - through a unit trust.’
- ‘In times of crisis, people have a tendency to turn to cash or precious metals like gold.’
- ‘The earliest pins were made of precious metals such as gold and silver.’
- ‘Only individuals here and there will be able to prepare for that coming crash, and gold and precious metals will be their means of doing so.’
- ‘He and his colleagues achieved their market pre-eminence by persevering with gold when precious metals were unloved in the late 1990s.’
- ‘Palladium is generally alloyed with other precious metals, such as gold and silver, as well as with copper.’
- ‘Gold and precious metals will be the store of value of choice according to the function it fulfills best.’
- ‘Due to its rarity, platinum is an excellent precious metal to invest in.’
- ‘Just forget about buying and owning gold and other precious metals in privacy, as you have been able to do until now.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.