One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electronic device that amplifies a very weak signal, for example from a microphone or pickup, and transmits it to a main amplifier.
- ‘If you're interested in one of these link leads (contains a preamplifier and speaker, does not require a battery), and/or VHF and UHF radios to suit, give me a call or email.’
- ‘The present invention uses a novel shock-sensing method that is both reliable and low-cost, using a modified head preamplifier to detect servo fields from adjacent disk surfaces, as well as the disk surface being written or read.’
- ‘Microphone preamplifiers seem to come in two flavors these days: modern designs with lots of bells and whistles (such as EQ, dynamics and A / D converters) and vintage designs, which tend to take a more minimalist approach.’
- ‘The seismic components of vocalizations were filtered and amplified separately from the acoustic signals to compensate for not having a preamplifier for the geophones.’
- ‘An amplifier probe hybridizes to a preamplifier forming a branched DNA complex and generating enough signal sites to be detected directly after labeling.’
- ‘The microphone signal was amplified by a low-noise preamplifier and was processed by a two-phase lock-in amplifier.’
- ‘The cover has a surface thermally coupled to the preamplifier to conduct heat from the preamplifier.’
- ‘It is possible for the preamplifier to saturate on a strong signal and produce intermodulation products that degrade reception on adjacent channels.’
- ‘Electric signals were measured on a set-up described previously, with the modification that a very low-noise homemade current preamplifier was used.’
- ‘These antennas contain preamplifiers providing gain levels of 26 dB (standard gain) and 35 dB (high gain).’
- ‘We generally call the first stage the preamplifier, though it may be the only amplification stage.’
- ‘This makes it suitable for audio applications, including audio amplifiers and preamplifiers, home entertainment system, mixing desks and audio recording equipment.’
- ‘In 1960, the concept of combining a mic/line preamplifier, low- and high-frequency equalizer, and an echo send into one small module that used only one connector was revolutionary.’
- ‘To start with, you need a turntable or tape deck, a stereo preamplifier or integrated amp, a computer with a line-in audio jack (most desktops qualify, many laptops don't), and cables to hook them together.’
- ‘It adds an essential component: the decoder, which also serves as a preamplifier that can make audio adjustments and also select from among several sound sources.’
- ‘Placing the preamplifiers as close to the detectors as possible minimizes the output impedance for driving further stages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.