One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A preliminary wash, especially one performed as part of a cycle in an automatic washing machine.
- ‘Most stains will come out in the wash, or with the added help of a pre-wash stain remover.’
- ‘Do not spray pre-wash stain removers on clothing on top of dryer unless top is protected completely; this may corrode plastic control parts as well as paint.’
- ‘Just enough intelligence to get you thinking, as your head begins to spin uncontrollable like a pre-wash cycle.’
- 1.1 A substance applied as a treatment before washing.
- ‘A pre-wash having the ingredients of water, an acid and an alcohol is also provided and can be used prior to the application of the cleaning solution to the painted surface.’
- ‘A pre-wash to remove the most stubborn oxidation can be made with equal parts of water, alcohol and acid.’
Give a preliminary wash to (a garment), typically before putting it on sale.
- ‘Hands should be pre-washed and nails cleaned with a nail pick under running water to remove gross debris and superficial microorganisms before applying the alcohol-based scrub product.’
- ‘For example, fruit that will be taken in a lunch can be pre-washed.’
- ‘After eating, everyone takes their plates and cutlery to the sink and pre-washes their dishes before loading them into the large dishwasher.’
- ‘Genefilter cDNA array membranes, containing 4,133 human genes, were pre-washed in boiling 0.5 per cent SDS for five min.’
- ‘That's why I always pre-wash my mail with Mailwasher.’
- ‘The homogenized egg samples were always stored in polyethylene bottles pre-washed with nitric acid (HN [O.sub.3]), and they were placed in a refrigerator until chemical analysis.’
- ‘Also there is no need to pre-wash your fleece fabric.’
- ‘I really don't know why they don't just pre-wash them before you buy them.’
- ‘Also, if your velvet is cotton velvet, you will want to pre-wash the fabric as it will shrink.’
- ‘We want food that's been pre-washed, cars with air-conditioning and homes with everything from dishwashers to electric toothbrushes.’
- ‘I was surprised, however, at the quilter who responded that she never pre-washed her fabrics because she liked the puckered look.’
- ‘The placemats in size 33 cm x 46 cm are reversible with interlining and the napkins to match are soft and pre-washed in different sizes.’
- ‘I pre-washed it and made it (even though I knew it would lose its nice crisp hand, it still maintained the strong color and the subtle sheen) and its been wonderful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.